The Fil-Aus and the wider community are set to have another reason for staying home on Friday nights aside from following recommended COVID 19 protocols!!!
In celebration of the National Indigenous Peoples Month, the Philippine Consulate General, Sentro Rizal - Sydney presents "Indigenous Fashion Fridays," featuring indigenous textiles at 6pm during October.
The fashion show can be viewed on the Facebook pages of Sentro Rizal Sydney and the Philippine Consulate General in Sydney:
[From the Philippine Consulate General Sydney]
- The Philippines was among the 144 countries which supported the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples adopted by the General Assembly on 13 September 2007.
- In the Philippines, the number of indigenous people is estimated to be between 10 percent and 20 percent of the national population.
- By virtue of Proclamation No. 1906 signed on Oct. 5, 2009, by former President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo, National Indigenous People’s month is observed every month of October.
- The celebration/observance highlights Philippine indigenous peoples’ rights and the preservation of indigenous cultural communities as part of the life of the nation.
- This year’s celebration, the Philippine Consulate General – Sentro Rizal in Sydney celebrates it by featuring/highlighting the indigenous textiles and clothing made and used by various ethnic groups and indigenous people.
-- - - -
The community has continually enjoyed a series of online initiatives undertaken by the Philippine Consulate General, Sentro Rizal - Sydney since the pandemic has restricted it to stay home to prevent the spread of the virus.